Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Presley's First Day of School

I signed up Presley for a Mother's Day Out program in Columbus this school year. She goes two days a week and I pick her up right after lunch. I was really excited about her getting in this program because I feel like it'll give her some stability and something to be excited about once Baby David makes his arrival and she no longer gets my undivided attention during the day. I also wanted her to be able to have a good group of friends. We had such a great playgroup back in Dallas and I know I miss seeing the same people at playdates and all our friends we had. We have made a few friends here at Fort Benning, but, unfortunately, most of them are only here for 6 months at a time. Since we were going to be here longer, I thought it'd be really good for her to have a full year in school and hopefully learn a few things. It's at a Methodist Church and I am glad she gets to be in a Christian environment.


I don't know which of us was more nervous yesterday for her first day.... Keep in mind, she has never been left with anyone other than family for any occasion. We've been very fortunate, butI knew that wouldn't last forever. We had met her teacher and a few of her classmates on Friday at the Open House. Yesterday, we were outside looking at her name on the wall and talking to some other girls that were going to be in her class. The teacher came to the door and opened it and Presley walked right in! I was shocked, she didn't even look back. I stood there for a minute watching her as she started playing with the baby doll and crib set. I was so excited she wasn't crying, but I was really shocked she just walked in... guess she was ready to be left alone after all. I called to check on her and they told me she was having a wonderful day and was the teacher's helper all morning. I am so proud of her for being such a big girl!! She didn't have any tears all day! When I picked her up, she gave me a huge hug and said "I missed you mommy, that was fun." She told me they played outside, played with water and ate lunch. I asked if she ate her lunch first or her cookie first and she told me the cookie.... guess we'll have to work on that!

I am so glad she is excited to go back tomorrow and that she had a fun day! She is such a wonderful kid with a great personality...I almost don't want to share her with anyone else. I know this is so good for her, though. Presley, I am so proud of you!! I love you very much!
Thanks, Mallie, for her awesome backpack! It definitely made getting ready for school more exciting yesterday. And, she loved her Tinkerbell lunchbox she picked out!

5 comments:

Kerry Hegele said...

Way to go Presley! This is such a big step for both of you Rachel, so glad to hear it went well. She looks adorable and her hair is so long, LOVE!

Meredith & Brett Hagedorn said...

Yay Pres!! So proud of you!! I hope mine do as well next Tuesday when they start MDO. (I'm already nervous!)
Rachel- she does look so cute & grown up! This will be such a wonderful thing for her & you, especially with the arrival of baby David. A nice balance!

Random blog question...how did you get this cool new font?? I want it. :) MISS YA'LL!! (and Kerry & her crew too!)

Anonymous said...

Presley you look SO BIG! I am so happy you love school. Dallie and I are so proud of you for being Ms Katie's helper. I can't wait to see some of your art work. Lovelovelove mallie

Ashley and Matt Sheehan said...

prespres, love and miss you...what a wonderful and exciting milestone to cross off the list...miss u girlies...love the new blog

Charelette Rae said...

What a big girl! Caden's been going for a year now and STILL cries occasionally when I leave him. So proud of you Pres!