Tuesday, April 2, 2013

Updates on the Kids

David is about to be 17 months old. He has changed so much the past few months. He doesn't say a ton of words, but he understands things really well.  If he's hungry, we'll go in the kitchen together and he'll hand me his plate or bowl at breakfast time. He loves to eat- and this boy eats all the time! His favorite foods right now are grapes, apple chunks or applesauce. He now waves to his Bo Jackson poster before and after naps, he also waves to dada in a picture I have in his room of the four David Cameron Smith's. It's hilarious that he always wants to tell them night night. He loves to brush his teeth with Presley every morning. He still loves shoes, tries on any that are left laying around. He is finally getting a good growth spurt and outgrowing his 12 month clothes. I'm eager to take him back to the doctor to see what he weighs. Last check-up, he was 18lbs. He is still rear-facing in his car seat and doing great with that. I remember I couldn't wait to turn Presley, but I guess she helps to entertain him back there. He loves to look out the window while we drive and says "rock," "tree," etc. He also loves to read books in the car! He has a few favorite books- 100 trucks, Silly Monkey book and his crayon books from Bulldog and Nana.

We were snowed in last weekend when we were supposed to go to our church Easter egg hunt, so we dyed eggs and had our own hunt here at home. Presley loved it and David caught on pretty quick!
 Enjoying an Easter package from Mrs. Lynn 
 Ignore the face, but I was trying to get a picture of our little lefty. He actually still uses both hands to eat, color, etc. but lately he's been using his left more to eat.
Presley is quite the busy body these days. When she's not playing dress-up or something imaginative (pretending to be a zoo animal and I'm the zookeeper), she is coloring pictures or doing crafts for someone. She loves to hand me things to mail to all our cousins and grandparents. She is finally better after having a few weeks or random vomiting. I honestly think she is either allergic to blueberries or they just don't agree with her anymore. Once we cut those out, we've had no more issues. She goes to bed these days around 7pm and gets up around 7:30. She has been scared of the dark and her room the past few weeks so we now leave her bathroom light on (all night, and she will lecture you to tell everyone in the house not to turn it off). She's doing much better about realizing it's just her stuff in the room. She loves her school so much and has made so many "Colorado friends" as she calls them. She still misses all our family and gets so excited to plan activities for when people come to visit us. She has been super excited for her 4th birthday party. Thank goodness it's finally April... she's been asking us since January when it would be her birthday. We've had some pretty funny conversations lately. The other day while driving she asked me what I thought David would be when he grew up. I said I'm not sure and she thinks he'll be an astronaut. When I asked what she wanted to be (it usually changes from a princess to a vet to a zookeeper to an artist), she said she wanted to be a mommy and play with her babies all day just like I do. She is such a sweet little girl and is still so wonderful with David. They are starting to fight more and more as he is getting older, but she's caught on that if she will just wait him out, he loses interest pretty quick and she can have the toy he's got. She's such a smart girl. We've been working on math worksheets I've printed out, and I was amazed how quickly she gets addition and subtraction (especially since that is not mine nor Cameron's expertise). She has mastered all the sounds letters make and can guess what words start with very easily. She goes to children's church weekly and loves talking about God and Jesus. She sings to them all the time and even wrote God a letter the other day. Then, she said, I don't think the mailman can get it to him since He's way up high in Heaven. Dallie told her she would need to just read her letter to him in her prayers one night. That brings me back to the singing... she loves to sing all of a sudden! In the car, while we're grocery shopping, she just belts out songs she knows and some she makes up. She says it makes Jesus smile when she sings and I know it's true. She loves to flip through the photo albums I keep out and look at old pictures. David has started joining her, although he prefers any picture that has dada in it!

I love my little family so much and am so thankful for them each and every day!

No comments: